Whether you’re an experienced professional or a beginner, this guide will help you understand the properties, uses, and applications of the versatile 204 stainless steel.
We will explain why and how this steel is used in a variety of industries. We will also provide helpful tips and advice to ensure you make the most of your stainless steel.
So let’s get started and explore the world of 204 stainless steel!
How to Identify 204-Grade Stainless Steel
204 Stainless Steel is martensitic grade. It is both applicable for indoor and outdoor environments.
In order to identify grade 204, you should look for a stamp or label on the material. Many suppliers will stamp the material with a grade designation, such as “SS-204” or “304L-SS”. You can also look for other markings that indicate the material is a type of stainless steel, such as “AISI” or “ASTM”.
If the material does not have a stamp or label, you can also use a magnet to determine if the material is indeed 204 grades. Most other types of stainless steel are not magnetic, whereas SS204 will be.
For more precise identification of the stainless steel grade, you can perform a chemical analysis. This involves testing the material’s chemistry to determine its exact composition.
Properties of Stainless Steel 204
It is important to understand the various properties of this material so that you can accurately identify it and make sure it is suitable for your needs.
You can identify its properties by chemical composition, physical properties, and mechanical properties.
Let’s explore one by one in detail:
|Titanium (Ti)||0.10% max|
|Nitrogen (N)||0.10% max|
|Sulfur (S)||0.030% max|
|Phosphorus (P)||0.045% max|
|Silicon (Si)||0.75% max|
|Manganese (Mn)||1.00% max|
|Carbon (C)||0.15% max|
|Density||7.93 g/cm3 (grams per cubic centimeter)|
|Melting Point||1454–1538 °C (2650–2800 °F)|
|Tensile Strength||620–830 MPa (megapascals)|
|Yield Strength||310–760 MPa (megapascals)|
|Hardness||Brinell Hardness 180–220 HB (hardness in Brinell scale)|
|Modulus of Elasticity||193–200 GPa (gigapascals)|
|Thermal Expansion||15.9 µm/m°C (micro-meters per meter-degree Celsius)|
|Yield Strength (0.2% Offset)||205 MPa (30 KSI)|
|Tensile Strength||515 MPa (75 KSI)|
|Hardness||Rb 95 max|
|Modulus of Elasticity (Young’s Modulus)||193 GPa (28×10^6 psi)|
|Thermal Conductivity||16.3 W/m-K (11.4 BTU/hr/ft2/ft/°F)|
|Specific Heat||0.12 J/g-K (0.02 BTU/lb/°F)|
|Thermal Expansion||9.4 µm/m-K (5.2 x 10^-6 in/in-°F)|
The development of this grade began in the early 20th century when manufacturers first began experimenting with different types of stainless steel.
The first AISI Type 204 stainless steel was developed in the USA. This alloy was created by adding chromium, nickel, and molybdenum to iron. This combination of elements gave the steel superior anti-corrosion and strength.
Its first commercial application was in the form of cutlery. Due to its high resistance to oxidation, Type 204 was a perfect material for kitchenware and other applications.
In the 1930s, Type 204 was further refined to make it even more corrosion-resistant and to improve its mechanical properties. At this time, it was widely used in the construction of pipelines, tanks, and other industrial equipment.
In the 1950s, the development of 204-grade stainless steel continued. The alloy was further improved to increase its resistance to corrosion and mechanical properties. Therefore it was used in the construction of offshore structures, bridges, and other structures that were exposed to harsh environments.
And currently, Type 204 is still one of the most popular stainless steels. It is used in most projects of several industries.
We will explore the various uses of 204 stainless steel. From its common uses in everyday items to its more specialized applications in the aerospace and other industries.
- Roofing and wall cladding: Type 204 can be used in roofing and wall cladding applications due to its capacity to withstand high temperatures.
- Kitchen countertops: The stainless steel 204 is a popular choice for kitchen countertops due to its durability and easy maintenance.
- Handrails and balustrades: The strength and durability of SS204 make it an ideal material for handrails and balustrades.
- Window frames and doors: The aesthetic appeal and anti-corrosion properties of 204 make it an excellent material for window frames/doors.
- Facades and cladding: The durability and good looks of SS204 make it a great choice for manufacturing facades and cladding.
- Exhaust systems: Stainless steel 204 is often used for exhaust systems in automobiles.
- Fasteners: It is often used for automotive fasteners production such as nuts and bolts.
- Fuel lines: 204-grade stainless steel is also used for fuel lines due to its strength and durability.
- Brake lines: Due to their hardness and ductility, type 204 is also used for automotive brake lines.
- Fuel tanks: The stainless steel grade is also used for fuel tanks and other fuel components due to its excellent durability.
- 204 stainless steel is typically used for marine structural components, such as handrails, support beams, and platforms.
- It is also used in boat hulls.
- Grade 204 is also useful for the production of any marine hardware, such as cleats, eyes, and hinges.
- Medical instruments: Stainless steel 204 is used to make surgical instruments, dental instruments, and other medical instruments.
- Hospital beds: Hospital beds are often made of SS204, which is corrosion-resistant and easy to clean.
- Surgical tools: Many surgical tools are made from this stainless steel grade.
- Medical implants: Implants such as hip and knee replacements are often made from SS204 due to their biocompatibility.
Chemical Processing Industry
- The SS204 is commonly used in the production of sulfuric acid and nitric acid tanks.
- It is also used in the production of pharmaceuticals and other chemical compounds.
- Stainless steel 204 is also used in pressure vessels, valves, and pumps.
- In addition, it is used in the manufacture of catalytic converters and catalytic reformers.
Food Processing Industry
- Food Processing Equipment: Stainless steel 204 is a popular choice for food processing equipment such as sinks, work tables, and countertops. It is rust-resistant, making it a hygienic choice for food-grade surfaces.
- Food Storage Containers: This stainless steel is also used to fabricate food storage containers that are used to store and transport food products. It is non-reactive, ensuring that food stored in these containers will not be contaminated by metallic tastes or odors.
- Food Preparation Tools: SS204 is commonly used to construct kitchen utensils such as knives, ladles, and spatulas. It is extremely durable and can withstand the rigors of food preparation.
- Beverage Processing Equipment: The resistance to corrosion makes the 204 a great choice for beverage processing equipment such as tanks, pipes, and pumps. Its non-reactive surface ensures that the taste and quality of the beverage will not be compromised.
Which Grade is Better? 304 vs 204
If you are about to select between grade 304 and grade 204, it is important to understand the differences between them.
To discover each dissimilarity, take a look here!
|Level of Resistance||SS204 is an alloy that contains half the nickel and increased manganese and nitrogen. This combination makes it less corrosion-resistant than 304.||SS304 is highly resistant to corrosion and is typically not affected by rust, unlike its counterpart, 204 stainless steel.|
|Durability||Less durable than 304.||Its higher levels of chromium and nickel provide greater durability. Also, it is much harder and non-magnetic.|
|Easy to Maintain||Both 204 and 304 stainless steels are considered to be relatively easy to maintain and clean.||However, 304 is generally considered to require less maintenance since it has greater resistance to staining and pitting.|
|Usage Differences||204 is martensitic grade, used in cutlery production, medical instruments, and some industrial applications.||304 is austenitic grade, used in kitchen and bathroom fixtures, as well as in chemical processing and medical equipment.|
Comparison Between 201 vs 204
There are some key differences between the SS201 and SS204.
The most notable difference between them is the amount of nickel they contain. While both grades contain a high percentage of chromium, 201 contains a lower percentage of nickel than stainless steel 204. This makes 201 stainless steel a cost-effective option for applications where rust resistance is not a major factor.
On the other hand, SS204 is often chosen for its extreme rust resistance. The higher nickel content makes it ideal for applications in more corrosive environments. It is also easier to weld than stainless steel 201, therefore it is a good choice for applications that require welding.
Both 201 and 204 own unique properties. If you are looking for an affordable material, SS201 is a good option. But, if you need more durable material, then SS204 is the better choice.
Is 204 Stainless Steel Magnetic?
The answer is no.
Stainless steel 204 is martensitic stainless steel, which means that it is not magnetic. Martensitic stainless steels are non-magnetic, in contrast to ferritic stainless steels, which are magnetic.
Its non-magnetic properties also make it suitable for use in magnetic separation processes.
Will SS204 Rust?
The answer is yes, under certain conditions, grade 204 can corrode.
However, in most cases, it is highly resistant to rusting and corrosion. It is generally considered to be a very reliable material for a wide range of applications.
The main reasons for its rust resistance are its high chromium content (17-19%) and its low carbon content (0.030%). Both of these properties make it more resistant to oxidation than other grades of stainless steel. Additionally, it has a higher nickel content than some other grades, which helps to improve its resistance to rusting.
Knowing the current prices of the material can help you make a wise choice when it comes to purchasing the material.
|By Diameter||USD Price|
You’ve understood how 204 stainless steel is a very important material for many projects, like food handling, pharmaceutical equipment, and chemical processing. No wonder most manufacturers admired it and used it in most fabrication projects.
Anytime you need to purchase 204 stainless steel, we can guarantee to supply it for you. We will also answer your inquiries about this type of stainless steel. Please contact us immediately!