- High strength and ductility
- High-temperature resistance
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion
- High fatigue strength
- Low permeability
- Good oxidation resistance
- Good pitting and crevice corrosion resistance
- Outstanding resistance to localized attack
- High chromium content
- Available in a wide range of forms
Reputable Hastelloy c276 Manufacturer - Tuolian
Hastelloy C276 unique combination of nickel, molybdenum, & chromium provides superior corrosion resistance to a wide range of acids, alkalis, and salts. It also has low levels of carbon & other impurities. That features contribute to its excellent weldability and formability.
Tuolian Hastelloy C276 is especially good for chemical processing because it doesn’t form unwanted substances when it’s welded. It’s also great at resisting pitting & stress-related damage, as well as high temperatures. Plus, it can handle many different chemicals without breaking down.
As a supplier and manufacturer of Hastelloy C276, we provide our customers with high-quality materials that meet your specific needs. Whether it’s a special size, shape, or alloy composition, Tuolian has the capabilities to deliver the highest quality products for your business. Message us!
Resistance to Various Oxidizers
- Nitric acid
- Chromic acid
- Sulfuric acid
- Perchloric acid
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Potassium permanganate
- Sodium hypochlorite
- Permanganic acid
A Comprehensive Guide to Hastelloy C276: Properties and Applications
Pitting and crevice corrosion is a major concern for industries working in environments with high temperatures. For efficiency, such industries require an alloy that can withstand such temperatures, and Hastelloy C276 has become a popular choice for these sectors.
If you want to purchase a C276 Hastelloy sheet or use it for any of its numerous applications, keep reading to learn more about its properties, advantages, and where to buy the best Hastelloy C762 materials.
What Is Hastelloy C276?
Hastelloy C276 is one of the numerous hastelloy alloys used in various industries and applications. However, its distinguishing factor lies primarily in its chemical composition, which consists primarily of nickel-molybdenum-chromium. Owing to its high nickel concentration, it’s often referred to as Nickel C276 or Inconel C276.
One major reason Hastelloy C276 is in high demand is its inherent ability to interact with highly concentrated acidic solutions without being burned. That’s to say it’s not susceptible to acidic corrosion.
Its applications cut across various industries and settings, including scrubbers, chemical processing equipment, heat exchangers, reactors, valves, oil and gas production, pumps, pulp and paper, power generation, aerospace, and every environment requiring resistance to oxidizing salts, wet chloride gas, hypochlorite, and corrosion.
Hastelloy C276 Chemical Composition
It’s no news that the Hastelloy C276 comprises chromium, nickel, molybdenum, and tungsten. However, there are other chemical elements it contains that are worthy of note. Here is a tabular representation of the Hastelloy C276 chemical composition.
|Element||Minimum Range (%)||Maximum Range (%)|
Hastelloy C276 Physical Properties
Here is a tabular representation of the physical properties of Hastelloy c276 composition
|Thermal Expansion||11.2 x 10^-6/°C|
|Thermal Conductivity||11.2W/m.K (at 100°C)|
|Electrical Resistivity||1.24μΩ.m (at 20°C)|
|Specific Heat Capacity||427J/kg.K|
Hastelloy C276 Mechanical Properties
The mechanical properties of Hastelloy C276 are traits and attributes that show how the alloy behaves when certain loads or forces are applied to it. Some of these properties include:
|Tensile Strength (Annealed)||760 MPa (min)||690 MPa (min)||690 MPa (min)||760 MPa (min)|
|Elongation (Annealed)||40% (min)||40% (min)||40% (min)||40% (min)|
|Yield Strength (Annealed)||350 MPa (min)||280 MPa (min)||280 MPa (min)||350 MPa (min)|
|Hardness (Annealed and tested with a hardness Rockwell “B” scale)||HRB 89 (max)||HRB 89 (max)||HRB 89 (max)||HRB 89 (max)|
|Modulus of Elasticity||206 GPa (21°C)||206 GPa (21°C)||206 GPa (21°C)||206 GPa (21°C)|
Hastelloy C276 Corrosion Resistance
The mechanical, chemical, and physical C276 Hastelloy properties enable the material to exhibit a great level of resistance to various corrosive media. For industrial processes requiring resistance from reducing media, pitting, and crevice corrosion, Hastelloy C276 has a high volume of nickel and molybdenum solving such problems.
For procedures carried out in the presence of strong oxidizing agents, the chromium content of the C276 Hastelloy makes it resistant to ferric chloride, seawater, and wet chlorine gas. The chemical composition of Hastelloy C276 produces a material that resists strong acids, alkaline solutions, and saltwater.
These corrosive media include phosphoric acid, hydrochloric acids, chlorides, bromides, nitric acids, and other halides. Due to their low chromium content, strong oxidizing media has adverse effects on C276 Hastelloys, therefore in such conditions, their resistivity may depreciate due to their low chromium content.
Hastelloy C276 Corrosion Resistance Chart
|Corrosive Media||Temperature (°C)||Temperature (°F)||Corrosion Resistance of Hastelloy C276|
|Acetic Acid (51%)||135||275||Excellent|
|Acetic Acid (60%)||105||221||Excellent|
|Concentrated Acetic Acid||32-88||90-190||Excellent|
|Allyl Chloride (100%)||24||75||Excellent|
|Boric Acid||To Boiling Point||To Boiling Point||Excellent|
|Boron Trifluoride (1.4)||60-140||140-284||Good|
|Calcium Chloride (54%)||127||260||Good|
|Calcium Hydroxide (to 50%)||To B.P||To B.P||Excellent|
|Calcium Hypochlorite (0.5%)||30-60||86-140||Excellent|
|Carbon Dioxide (10%)||66||150||Excellent|
|Chlorine (Wet) 100%||30||86||Excellent|
|Chromic Acid (2%)||Boiling||Boiling||Good|
|Citric Acid (10%)||Boiling||Boiling||Excellent|
|Cupric Chloride (5%)||40||104||Excellent|
|Ferric Sulfate (to 30%)||56||150||Excellent|
|Flue Gas (Power Plant)||60||140||Good|
|To B.PTo B.P
|To B.PTo B.P
|Hydrochloric Acid (35%)||71-77||160-170||Bad|
|Hydrofluoric Acid Mixtures||80||176||Excellent|
|Lactic Acid (50%)||Boiling||Boiling||Good|
|Nitric Acid (63%)||49||120||Excellent|
|Nitric Sulfuric Acid Mixtures||185
Hastelloy C276 High-Temperature Strength
C276 Hastelloy properties provide immunity to creep deformation—gradual deformation occurring when a material is subjected to prolonged exposure to high temperatures and pressure. This ensures that the material maintains dimensional stability and mechanical integrity under such conditions. Hence, the alloy is ideal for high-temperature use cases.
Hastelloy C276 Manufacturing Process
The C276 Hastelloy manufacturing process involves various steps, from melting to packaging and shipping. The simple step-by-step guide below will enable a seamless production of C276 Hastelloy.
- Melting: The C276 Hastelloy manufacturing starts with the melting of raw materials (nickel, chromium, molybdenum, and other primary alloying elements required). The materials are weighed carefully, then heated under high temperatures until they melt and form a homogenous molten metal.
- Alloying, Mixing, and Refining: Add the remaining alloying materials, including vanadium, silicon, cobalt, iron, etc., Then mix and refine them thoroughly to ensure consistency and to remove any impurities accumulated from the melting process or during production.
- Solidification: The shape of the final product you desire will determine what solidification method you will incorporate. You can choose to solidify by casting or ingot casting. Cooling and solidifying prepare your molten for hot rolling, forging, machining, or cold rolling.
- Forming: The common techniques to shape your C276 Hastelloy are hot rolling, cold rolling, extrusion, forging, and machining. The choice depends on you and what you want; each process will surely help you achieve the desired results.
- Heat Treatment: To optimize any Hastelloy alloys mechanical properties and microstructure, you must perform heat treatment. Heat treatment can be done using methods such as annealing, aging, or quenching.
Remember to inspect the product and do a final surface finish, like polishing, removing surface contaminants, and improving the product’s look according to your customers’ requirements.
Applications of Hastelloy C276
As stated earlier, one of the most important upsides of Hastelloy C276 is its resistance to corrosive substances. Coupled with its temperature dexterity, this alloy is quickly replacing some of its weaker counterparts in various industrial sectors. Here are some applications of C276 Hastelloy:
- Chemical Processing: using the wrong material in chemical processing can be disastrous, as there are risks of explosion and corrosion if the substance reacts negatively with the pipes and columns. Hence C276 is commonly used in piping systems, reactors, distillation columns, and heat exchangers, to prevent the occurrence of such disasters.
- Petrochemical Industry: These facilities use them to produce valves, pumps, fittings, tubes, and flanges exposed to corrosive media.
- Pulp and Paper Sector: Hastelloy C276 are used for manufacturing bleach plants, digesters, and evaporators.
- Pharmaceutical Sector for manufacturing reactors, storage tanks, and Hastelloy C276 pipes for fluid transmission, ensuring all products are not contaminated.
- Waste Treatment: The alloy has application in this facility for handling corrosive acids, ensuring longevity in scrubbers, flue gas desulfurization systems, and storage tanks.
- Power Generation: this alloy is an impressive material for a significant part of gas turbines and boiler components, owing to its high-temperature endurance.
- Aerospace: Here, the alloy is leveraged to improve and maintain the integrity of aircraft exhaust systems, combustion chambers, and high-temperature engine components.
- Food processing: Hastelloy C276 can withstand the organic compounds and acids used in the production of food preservation equipment. Thus, it is used in producing these equipment.
- Nuclear Sector: They use Hastelloy C276 for fuel reprocessing, waste handling, and other components in nuclear reactors.
- Pollution Control: Hastelloy C276 also has a robust production rate in scrubbers, stack liners, and ducting.
Other applications of Hastelloy C276 include desalination plants, oil and gas, offshore and marine, automotive, seawater equipment, and architecture.
Advantages of Hastelloy C276
The advantages of Hastelloy C276 include the following:
- Hastelloy C276 maintains high corrosion resistance.
- It is flexible in its application and a perfect fit for various industries including pharmaceutical, construction, power generation, aerospace, chemical process equipment, etc.
- It also exhibits impressive strengths under high temperatures
- Hastelloy C276 is versatile in form and utility. This means it can be beaten to any desired shape and used for a plethora of purposes. For example, it occurs in pipes, bars, springs, wires, sheets, and valves.
- Hastelloy is extremely durable and also has long spans
- Hastelloy C276 is a cost-effective alternative to Hastelloy B.
Limitations of Hastelloy C276
While Hastelloy C276 has many impressive characteristics, here are some of its limitations:
- Hastelloy C276 requires a certain level of expertise during welding, especially if you’re employing conventional methods.
- High work-hardening—the method of increasing the hardness of steel by hot or cold rolling, hammering, or forging.
- Hastelloy C276 has limited resistance to oxidizing agents, especially hot concentrated nitric acid.
Pros and Cons of Hastelloy C276
The table below breaks down the pros and cons of Hastelloy C276.
|Hastelloy C276 Pros||Hastelloy C276 Cons|
|Resistant to many corrosive media||Requires careful welding to maintain corrosion resistance.|
|Hastelloy alloy C276 requires less work-hardening.||Higher work-hardening|
|Superior strength and durability||Sensitive to contaminants|
|Resistance to corrosion affecting metal occluded parts or crevices||Hastelloy C276 is vulnerable to stress-induced cracking|
|Maintains mechanical properties even under harsh temperatures||It is susceptible to pitting in certain environments|
|Hastelloy C276 has long lifetimes|
|Resistance to oxidizing environments and media|
|Various processes can be used to manufacture Hastelloy C276.|
Hastelloy C276 Forms
The many forms that Hastelloy C276 can take include:
|Hastelloy C276 Bar||Hastelloy C276 round bars or hexagon shapes.|
|Hastelloy C276 Sheet/Plate||Flat sheets or plates in various sizes, weights, and shapes.|
|Hastelloy C276 Wire||Wires for electrical applications or welding|
|Hastelloy C276 Flanges||Circular, or flat disc-like materials with holes used for pipe connection|
|Hastelloy C276 Forging||Customized shapes and parts by heating Hastelloy C276 billets.|
|Hastelloy C276 Pipe||Pipes for fluid transport|
|Hastelloy C276 Tube||Tubes commonly used in heat exchangers|
Hastelloy C276 Common Trade Names
Depending on where you find yourself, you may hear different names attributed to Hastelloy C276. Here are common names with which you can recognize the alloy:
- Alloy C276
- Inconel C276
- Nicrofer 5716
- Nickel C276
- Nimonic C276
- Werkstoff Nr. 2.4819
- Haynes 276
- Nickelvac HC-276
Comparison With Other Hastelloy Alloys
All Hastelloy alloys are incredibly ductile, strong, durable, and resistant to corrosive environments. With various use cases, characteristics or the volume at which these features are present differ. While they may not be much difference between Hastelloy C22 and C276, the table below compares Hastelloy C22 vs. Hastelloy C276 and Hastelloy B and X.
|Property||Hastelloy C276||Hastelloy C22||Hastelloy B||Hastelloy X|
|Corrosion Resistance||High resistance to different media and environments.||Ability to withstand corrosion that is occluded, stress-induced cracking, and pitting.||Excellent resistance to oxidizing and reducing agents.||At high-temperature rates, Hastelloy C276 has good resistance to oxidizing salts and is immune to chloride-induced stress.|
|Weldability||Requires careful welding procedures||Numerous welding options can be applied||Great weldability but requires low heat input||Great weldability but is susceptible to hot cracking during welding|
|Fabrication||Limited formability||Great formability||Great formability||Limited formability|
Maintenance and Handling of Hastelloy C276
Here are some helpful maintenance and handling tips to help extend your C276 Hastelloy material longevity.
- Clean your material often with a mild cleaning agent to prevent prolonged dirt residue and maintain its corrosive resistance.
- Avoid contaminants: Keep your Hastelloy C276 material away from contaminants such as lead and sulfur.
- C276 Hastelloy has reduced strength under concentrated oxidizing agents, keep your materials away from such media.
- Frequently inspect your C276 Hastelloy to spot pitting or cracking early
- Implement routine maintenance to prevent crevice corrosion and other kinds of corrosion
- Store and handle C276 Hastelloy materials carefully to avoid cracks or mechanical faults.
Safety Considerations When Using Hastelloy C276
When working with C276 Hastelloy, ensure you employ the necessary safety practices to protect yourself and the people around your work area. Some safety practices we recommend include the following:
- Get the material safety data sheet for Hastelloy C276 and wear protective equipment like goggles, gloves, and protective clothing.
- Ensure that your work area is properly ventilated.
- Use proper dust collection systems to avoid inhaling dust and fumes from extraction units.
- Store the Hastelloy C276 away from flammable items
- Have emergency response procedures in place.
Who Is the Best Hastelloy C276 Manufacturer
The versatility and benefits of C276 are not in doubt. However, only some manufacturers can get it right, and buying wrongly manufactured C276 Hastelloy bars, sheets, fittings, pipes, and other materials will save time and resources.
Toulian Metal knows what it takes to produce highly efficient Hastelloy C276 that can stand the test of time while maintaining its mechanical integrity under prolonged exposure to corrosive media. Toulian’s Hastelloy C276 has been tried and is trusted in over 100 countries worldwide. Join thousands of people using Toulian Metal’s pitting and stress-resistant Hastelloy C276.
Hastelloy c276 Common Trade Names
- Nicrofer 5716
- Alloy C276
- Nickel C276
- Inconel C276
- Nimonic C276
- Hy-mu 276