Whether you’re protecting pieces from wearing out or customizing your favorite items, stainless steel engraving is a process you can’t overlook. However, you’ll need all the necessary information to get the best results. Luckily, we can help with that.
This article will cover the best design and techniques for your stainless steel engraving process. Whether you’re a beginner or at the top of the engraving trade doesn’t matter. We guarantee you will learn a better way to leave a beautiful mark on your metal.
Stainless steel engraving has different techniques you can use for your metal projects. You can start with any of these methods:
Chemical etching uses a high-pressure chemical spray to remove material and engrave an image into the metal. During engraving, a mask is applied to the material surface before being selectively removed. This exposes the metal and creates the desired permanent image.
You start the process by laminating a stainless steel sheet with a resist layer. This is a light-sensitive material used to form a patterned coating on a surface. After exposing the metal to UV light and the product image is created, the masked sheet is put in an etching solution. Next, the uncovered parts of the sheet are taken out by the etchant. This protects the covered areas and creates the final version. Finally, the photo-resist is separated from the finished part.
In laser engraving, a laser marking machine creates permanent marks on different materials. Thanks to its precision, this method is commonly used to mark parts and products in multiple industries. Using the best laser engraver for stainless steel, the process can be completed in 3 – 5 minutes and works with many materials, including metals, wood, and plastics.
In electrolytic etching, the stainless steel angle is soaked in an electrically conductive solution while electricity is added as a direct current. Invented in the 19th century, the process was used to create recesses on the object’s surface to add enamels or metal inlays.
During the process, a metal piece is connected to the positive and negative poles of a direct electric current source. When the current begins to flow, ions break through the metal surface and etch to the areas of the surface you are working on.
Comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of each stainless steel engraving technique?
Chemical engraving is cheap with very little damage but difficult to do with small features like bubbles. Laser engraving has proven to be more long-lasting, but it is also more invasive, and the process is less delicate. The electrolytic process is easy to control and establish consistency, but it can cut deeper than the level you might want.
Among the three techniques, chemical engraving has the best capabilities. Thanks to its flexible process, you can design and manufacture precise parts with complex elements, e.g., sharp edges and round holes. In a few days, you can produce multiple prototypes cost-effectively.
When working on a stainless steel engraving project, you need to consider these factors:
When etching on stainless steel, your font must be large enough to make the text visible. At the same time, it needs to be proportionate to the size of the metal you are working on.
We recommend using 10 pts and above for the best engraving result to give your work the best look.
During your steel etching process, your words must be properly spaced to make them easy to read. Additionally, the spacing will also determine how many words per line will work for the metal’s size.
The best design orientation is landscape or horizontal. This is because steel engraving plates are larger in the horizontal dimension and allow you to create more complex designs. Additionally, printing presses used for steel engraving are traditionally set up in a horizontal orientation. This will allow you to create quality prints.
However, you can also use a vertical or portrait orientation for your stainless steel engraving. It is an effective style for certain design types, like portraits.
What is the best font to use?
For your stainless steel engraving project, a serif font is a good option. Additionally, the font adds a touch of elegance to the final version of the design. Your best serif font options include:
- Times New Roman
Surface preparation techniques
When preparing your metal sheet for engraving, you can use any of these techniques:
Cleaning the metal surface before engraving keeps it free of contaminants. Here is a process you can use:
- Remove any visible dirt with a soft brush
- Clean the surface with a solvent like acetone to remove any oils or grease. Next, apply the solvent to a clean cloth and clean the surface thoroughly.
- If the metal surface is corroded, use a more aggressive cleaning method like sandblasting.
- After cleaning, inspect the surface for any remaining dirt. If necessary, wipe the surface again.
- Finally, dry the surface with a clean cloth.
By polishing your metal, you can improve the quality of the final engraving. Here are some steps you can use:
- Start by cleaning the surface with a solvent to remove dirt or grease.
- Next, use a polishing compound like polishing wax to remove surface scratches. Apply the compound to a buffing wheel or soft cloth and work in a circular motion until the surface is smooth.
- After polishing, use a clean cloth to remove any residue from the polishing compound.
- If necessary, polish the surface with a finer compound to make the metal smoother.
- Finally, inspect the metal surface for any scratches. If you spot any, repeat the polishing process until the metal is smooth and even.
Degreasing the metal surface of the stainless steel engraving machine ensures you can remove contaminants affecting the adhesiveness of any inks or coatings used. You can use this process:
- Start by removing any dirt with a soft brush or cloth
- Apply a decreasing solvent like Isopropyl alcohol with a clean cloth or brush.
- Wipe the surface thoroughly and allow the solvent to sit on the surface for a few minutes.
- Use a clean cloth or paper towel to remove the solvent. If necessary, repeat the process to ensure the surface is oil or grease-free.
- Finally, dry the surface with a clean cloth or paper towel before starting the stainless steel engraving process.
How to choose the best technique for different applications
When deciding on your cleaning technique, examine the type of stainless steel and how it reacts to cleaning solvents. You should also identify the nature of contaminants to determine the cleaning solvent you use. For instance, rust might need an abrasive cleaner, while oils or grease need a decreasing solvent.
For your stainless steel engraving process, these are the protective gear you need:
- Gloves: You need gloves to protect your hands from cuts caused by tools like the stainless steel engraving perth. Additionally, the gloves should be made of chemical-resistant material to protect your skin from contact with chemicals.
- Eye protection: Wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from flying debris
- Respiratory protection: Wear a dust mask to avoid inhaling metal particles
- Protective clothing: Wear coveralls or long-sleeved clothes to protect your skin from contact with metal particles and chemicals.
- Ear protection: Wear earplugs or earmuffs to protect your ears from loud noises.
Tips for reducing injuries
To avoid injuries, ensure you use the right tools like the stainless tool engraving blanks and keep them in good condition. You should also keep your workstation clean and organized to avoid clutter and debris.
There are different quality control methods used in cnc stainless steel engraving, including:
The dimensional inspection examines the finished product to ensure it complies with specific dimensions. During the process, you take accurate measurements with measuring tools like calipers. These measurements are compared against the specified project dimensions.
Any deviations are documented so they can be fixed. This process ensures the final product meets your specifications and is fit for the intended use.
Validation of engraving processes
Validation of the engraving process involves performing various tests to ensure the engraved features meet your standards. Some of the methods include:
- Visual inspection
- Surface roughness testing
- Material testing
Tips for guaranteeing the best results and meeting industry standards
To guarantee the best results, you must use the best materials that comply with industry standards. You should also follow proper engraving techniques and perform regular quality checks.
Maintenance and Correction
When your stainless steel engraving process is complete, perform these maintenance and correction techniques:
Once the metal has been engraved, you can use this cleaning process:
- Remove any debris from the engraved surface using compressed air
- Wipe the engraved surface with a clean cloth
- Clean the engraved surface with a cleaning solution and a soft cloth
- Rinse the engraved surface with clean water to remove residue from the cleaning solution
- Dry the engraved surface with a clean cloth
To calibrate your stainless steel engraving, use this process:
- Measure the engraved features using calibrated measuring tools like gauges and micrometers
- Examine the surface quality of the engraving using a surface roughness tester
- Compare the measured dimensions and surface roughness to project specifications
- Make any necessary adjustments to the engraving process.
Tips for fixing common engraving issues
These are tips for fixing some stainless steel engraving issues:
- Uneven depth: Adjust the pressure or speed settings if the engraving is uneven.
- Rough edges: Replace the engraving tool or adjust the pressure
- Smudges or discoloration: Clean the surface thoroughly before engraving, and keep engraving tools clean of debris
- Overheating or warping: Adjust pressure and speed settings and keep the engraving tool properly lubricated.
Stainless steel engraving is a process that requires the best tools and an eye for detail. Before starting, make sure you have the right tools and materials. You should also assess your project requirements to determine the best engraving method.
To get the best stainless steel engraving services, you can contact Tuolian Metal now.